Education, a smooth path for acquiring learning, knowledge, skills, values, beliefs and habits has taken a significant place in the life of every human being. Rich or poor, every parent wants their child to attain education. It became an indispensable part of every heap and morsel of the society. Like other basic needs necessary for the survival of human being, it also gained importance. The status of any person these days is not judged by the clothes he/she wears or the way he/she looks. It is more a matter of the educational qualification of a person. The more qualified a person is the more respect he/she gains.
We all are aware of the fact that education has its own importance since ages. People have been trying from always to attain more and more education. It has been divided into 4 parts depending upon the age group of people:
- Pre-school- This include early school education from ages approximately 3 to 7.
- Primary- This include first 5 to 7 years of education.
- Secondary- It consists of students during their adolescence.
- Tertiary- Including education at higher level.
Education has its own importance in a person’s life for many reasons:
- In order to lead a happy and stable life.
- To earn a living.
- Opens a world of opportunities for people.
- Backbone in being self-dependent.
- A major weapon to turn dreams into reality.
- Leads to the economic growth of nation.
- Build confidence in a person.
These are the basic reasons imparting significance to the process of attaining education. Knowing the division and importance of education, we all agree to the fact that it has a major role to play in constructing our lives.
We always have been comfortable with changing times, values, beliefs, cultures and technologies. Instead, we ourselves demanded these changes and accepted them without any question. The reason for such an acceptance is that these changes made our life easier. In order to live with more comfort and luxuries, we welcomed these changes whole-heartedly.
DID WE EVER RAISE A QUESTION ON OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM?
Even Rabindranath Tagore wrote lengthy articles about how Indian education system needs to change.
Since ages, the highest scorer is a topper and the student who scores low is considered a niggard. We have establishes IIT’S and IIM’S but, did we realize that the rote learning system needs a change? Students study, not to learn but to score high. They study to seek admissions in big schools/colleges. Barely do they assign a meaning to what they study. For students education just is a matter of passing from one class and reaching to another.
Building more and more schools, allowing hundreds of colleges to mushroom, is it going to solve the problem?
In a country where millions of students are victim of unrealistic, pointless and mindless rat race. Rote learning is not going to take these students anywhere. It not only crushes the creativity and originality of these students, it also drives brilliant students to commit suicide.
THE EDUCATION SYSTEM IS FAILING NOT BECAUSE OF LACK OF DEMAND, BUT BECAUSE A MARKET DOES NOT EXIST FOR EDUCATION.
In order to let a mind learn, a soul live, the ever existing education system need a change. A change that focus more on learning rather than cramming. A system that does not make students lift heavy weights of tension, which does not create a competition among them, which does not make the low scorer feel degraded.
In order to make the education system effective, various changes are required. These changes are:
- Creativity should be rewarded not the high scores. So that our students make use of their minds instead of making the mind cram the topics.
- The purpose of education should not be creating pen-pushers. Instead, creation of writers, artists, entrepreneurs, innovators, scientists and thinkers.
- Personalized education should be there. It is true that one size does not fit all. So, how can we expect that the same teaching method will be fruitful to all the students? Each student should be taught as per his/her level of understanding.
- Education should be knowledge based rather than information based.
- Students should not be pressurized to score highest marks. Instead, they should be motivated to gain more knowledge.
We are living in an era, where almost everything has changed.
NOW IS THE TIME TO WELCOME A CHANGE IN EDUCATION SYSTEM FOR OUR LOVED ONE.